DIY Herbal Ear Wash For Angry, Red, Infected Ears
Ear infections are uncomfortable and frustrating to both you and your dog. You see them trying to fix the problem by shaking their head, pawing at their ears and rubbing their heads against the ground or couch. It's itchy, stinky and simply uncomfortable.
If this is your dog, you'll look in her ear and see a brown, red "goo" between the crevasse of her ear. These ear infections are usually bacterial but can also be fungal. You can wipe our the sticky "goo" all you want but until you kill the bacteria or yeast, the symptoms will continue. This colloidal silver ear wash is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and even anti-viral. So no matter if there is a bacterial or fungal infection, this ear wash will help kill the infection.
What you'll need:
- Colloidal Silver
- Organic Chamomile Flowers
- Mason Jar
- Crock Pot
- Pump Top or Squeeze Top Tincture Bottle
What you'll do:
- Fill your mason jar up about 1/4th of the way with chamomile flowers. If this is a small mason jar, it would be about 4 TBS. You don't need that big of a jar because a little bit goes a long way. I usually use a 8oz mason jar for this recipe.
- Pour colloidal silver over the chamomile to almost the top of the mason jar. Stir the mixture with a spoon so all the chamomile flowers are submerged. They flowers will float to the top so make sure you leave a little room at the top of the jar so the flowers can absorb the colloidal silver and expand.
- Put the cover back on the jar.
- Place a towel in the crock pot to line the bottom. This is a buffer between the glass mason jar and the bottom of the crock pot. This will help the mason jar to not get too hot and crack.
- Put the mason jar on top of the towel and fill the crock pot with water so the towel is submerged.
- Do NOT put the cover on the crock pot. Some water will evaporate. If the water starts to evaporate past the top of the mason jar, pour more water back in. You want the jar to be submerged.
- Set crock pot to warm and let it infuse for 24 hours.
- When 24 hours is up, remove the mason jar and let it cool.
- Once cooled, shake up the jar.
- Unscrew the lid and pour the content through a strainer into a bowl.
- Compost or discard the plant material.
- Pour the liquid into a new bottle using a funnel. Ideally with either a pump top or a tincture bottle top. Reusing old face care bottles is great for this project. Simply wash out bottle, run through the dishwasher or boil the glass part to sanitize. Pump out any residual product from the pump.
- Once the infused colloidal silver is bottled up, place a hand written label on it with the name and date and ingredients if desired. Always label your bottles! You remember what's in them when making the product but can easily forget over time. I've done this more times that you can imagine!
- Use the pump top or dropper top to gentle squeeze this extract into your dogs ears. Two pumps usually does. Hold your hand up to their ear and massage it in. Remove your hand and let your dog shake their head. If you can, use a cotton ball to wipe out any extra “goo” you can. Do this to both ears. Over only a day or so you can expect to see a drastic difference in what’s accumulating in their ears.
Colloidal Silver is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral. In my "castle immunity" analogy, colloidal silver would be a bomb. It will kill foreign pathogens but not specifically raise immunity. Colloidal silver is also wound healing. If your dog has scratched his ears raw, the silver will help heal the scratch wounds faster.
Chamomile Flower is soothing to the skin. It is beneficial for red, angry, injured tissue. This can be helpful for when your dog has been scratching their ears and may have caused them to become more inflamed, red and cut. Adding chamomile flower will bring a soothing component to this blend.
Something to remember:
If your dog is getting chronic ear infections, there is most likely something within its diet that it is intolerant to. Dog's don't normally just develop an infection out of nowhere, just like we don't. Usually something is off balance and needs to be addressed within the diet. Excess carbohydrates is a common culprit.
If you're a more visual learner and want to see a video on how this was made head on over to our Youtube Channel - Furbal Remedies - for the step by step visual process. Let me know what other conditions you'd love to see more DIY home recipes for in the comments!