Healthy, Holistic, Meat Based Dog Cupcake Treats Recipe
It's so fun to celebrate our favorite companions.. their birthdays, their gotcha days and honestly, any day we please! But it's important to consider what treats you're feeding them during these celebrations. That's why I've created a super healthy, nutritious and DELICIOUS celebration cupcake just for our dogs! We combine healthy protein, ground up vegetables and herbs of our choice which provide an array of vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids to keep our dogs healthy while making them drool with excitement! Let's get into it!
- 1 LB Meat of choice - chicken, beef, lamb, etc.
- 2 Eggs
- About 1/2 - 1 Cup coconut Flour - If adding ground vegetables, add closer to 1 Cup coconut flour. The liquid that is produced needs flour.
- Add any shredded or ground vegetables that are dog safe. Some great options are carrots, spinach, cabbage, zucchini, squash, beets. I have a longer list HERE for you to check out.
- 1-2 TB herb of choice - I used red clover in this recipe
- Baked sweet potato
- Oil - olive, avocado, etc.
- Different options: coconut milk
What you'll do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Start by, baking sweet potato until it is soft enough to mash.
- While the potato is baking, mix together meat and eggs in a bowl.
- Blend up desired vegetables with a little water in a food processor. Add these vegetables to the mix.
- Add in any herbs you wanted to add. We used 2 TB red clover.
- Now slowly mix in coconut flour until the liquid has disappeared and the texture is dough-ish. If mixture is still too wet, add in more Coconut flour until mixture is more dense and has a drier feel to it. It doesn't have to be perfect, your dog will love it either way!
- Oil a cupcake tray and put round ball of batter into each cupcake mold. Pat the batter ball down to fill the mold.
- Place the tray in the oven on 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Keep an eye on them, until meat looks cooked. It will look like mini meat loafs.
- Mash together the inside of the baked potato in a bowl with some healthy oil of your choice and a little water until the consistency is thinner. Texture should be easy to spread.
- Add in a teaspoon of spirulina powder if desired. It will dye the frosting a fun green blue color!
- When the cupcakes are cooked, remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from cooking tins and place on a plate. Apply the sweet potato frosting like you would any other cupcake.
And you're done! Place the cupcake on a plate and sing happy birthday to your favorite four legged friend!
The one this to be cautious about with this recipe is that the spirulina frosting could stain white or light carpets or other fabrics. Have your dog eat this in a place that can be cleaned easily.
What are the benefits of these meat based, healthy, holistic, whole food dog cupcakes?
- When you choose a meat / protein that your dog does not react negatively too, you are providing protein, amino acids and a variety of vitamins and minerals. Ideally, feed them grass-fed, hormone free meat options. Organic if possible.
- Herb of choice: in this recipe we use red clover. Red clover is a gentle blood cleanser, improves circulation, strengthens immune function, supports the circulatory system and has been shown to help reduce the potential for cancer.
- Sweet potato's are high in fiber, Vitamin C, B6 and manganese. They also have a sweeter flavor that adds to the savory of the meat / organ flavor.
- Coconut flour provides essential fatty acids (EFA) and fiber. EFA's provide moisture to their bodies from the inside out and benefit the skin, coat, brain, eyes, heart and stomach.
- There are a lot of vegetables that can benefit your dogs health. Shredded up and baked into a meat cupcake is a great way to sneak them into your dogs diet, especially if they are picky eaters. Vegetables are high in a variety of vitamins and minerals that your dog needs. There are certain vegetables that should never be fed to dogs. Make sure to know which these are! Check out our blog post HERE
These cupcakes can be made for birthdays, gotcha-days or any fun day that you want to spice up life! Our pups deserve some fun, just like we do. Enjoy!