DIY Natural, Healthy, Herbal Detox Gummy Dog Treat Recipe
Has your dog ever had to have vaccines or take pharmaceutical medications like antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, steroids, heart worm medication, sedation medication or anything of the like? If they have, then looking into ways to detox your dog is important for their vitality and health. Take a look at one of our other blog posts "8 Ways To Detox Your Dog" for a more in-depth look on why and other ways to go about the process.
Short and narrow, the more toxins that accumulate in your dogs body ( that are in all pharmaceuticals ) the more harmful it is to your dogs health. The liver is the filter to the body. Now, imagine a fish tanks filter or your cars oil filter. These get nasty! Without the help of changing the filter, the tank or car would have issues arise. This is the same for the human and your dogs body. If you don't support their liver aka detoxification system, the buildup will become too difficult for them to process on their own and health complications will arise.
It's not fun to think about but it's also not too hard to support your dogs detoxification system. It just takes some time to learn.
That's why I'm here.
But for now, let's look at my Herbal Detox Gummy Recipe that you can make for your dog whenever you feel he needs a little reset.
What you'll need:
- Grass fed gelatin - 4TB
- Milk Thistle seed - 3TB
- Dandelion Root - 3TB
- Water - 1.5 C
- Cooking pot
- Measuring cup
- Silicon molds or ice cube trays
- Small cutting board
- Tupperware container
What you'll do:
- Make a decoction (tea) with the Milk Thistle and Dandelion root. Mix both herbs with water and simmer for 10-20 minutes on medium heat.
- Strain herbs out of the liquid into the measuring cup.
- Clean out the cooking pot.
- Place 1 cup of the liquid back in the cooking pot.
- Turn stove back on to low/medium heat and place the cooking pot back on the stove top.
- Slowly pour 4 tablespoons of gelatin into the warm liquid and whisk continuously.
- If the liquid starts to clump then you are pouring the gelatin in too quickly. Slow down and whisk more. If there are clumps at the end, it is not ruined. Your dog should not notice.
- Once the gelatin is thoroughly dissolved, slowly pour into your silicon molds or ice cube trays. If you're using the silicone molds, keep the silicone molds on the cutting board so it's easier to move to the freezer.
- Once the molds are full, move to the freezer for about 20 minutes.
- Once the liquid has hardened a bit, move to the fridge so the treats don't freeze but solidify thoroughly.
- Pop out gummies into a tuppperware container for later use.
- Feed to your pup!
Tips if your dog doesn't love the texture of the gummy:
- Try freezing them so they are more of a frozen, harder treat like a tasty ice cubes.
- Mix in some bone broth for and extra strong taste that almost all dogs love.
- Infuse the Dandelion root and Milk Thistle seeds into homemade bone broth and use the bone broth as the liquid in this recipe.
Why these herbs:
Milk Thistle Seed supports the liver in multiple ways. It's been shown to reduce inflammation in the liver, help repair damaged liver cells as well as support the processing of harmful toxins. Some other benefits of Milk Thistle Seeds are supporting the skin, reduce age related cognitive decline, help the bones and may improve cancer treatment.
Dandelion Root supports the liver by supporting healthy liver tissue against toxic substances, can help reduce stored fat in the liver and reduces oxidative stress within the liver. Some other benefits of Dandelion Root are improved digestion, reduced constipation, may fight cancer, may lower blood pressure and cholesterol while also being extremely nutritious, high in vitamins and minerals.
Check out our full video on our YouTube channel - Furbal Remedies - Click HERE to watch!
Try these to and let me know how your dog likes them in the comments below!