How To Make Your Dog Healthy Cupcakes (that aren't full of artificial ingredients & sugar!)
As a responsible pet owner, you want to ensure that your furry friend is not only happy but also healthy. So, when it comes to celebrating your dog's birthday, why not make them some delicious and nutritious cupcakes? With a few simple ingredients and a little bit of effort, you can create a special treat that will make your dog's tail wag with joy. It doesn't have to be overwhelming, it simply take knowing what foods they can eat, what foods they LOVE & mashing it up into a mini-meatloaf! (Because dogs don’t need artificial, sugary treats) Here's how to make healthy birthday cupcakes for your dog:
What ingredients do you need?
First and foremost, it's important to use ingredients that are safe and healthy for your dog. Avoid using any ingredients that are toxic to dogs, such as chocolate, raisins, or artificial sweeteners like xylitol. Instead, opt for dog-friendly ingredients like:
- Your ground meat of choice: beef, chicken, turkey, lamb
- A healthy flour like coconut or whole wheat flour
- Pumpkin purée
- A banana
- Maybe a little ground up chia seeds or flax seeds
- Peanut butter (make sure it doesn't contain xylitol)
- Carrots (grated)
- Applesauce (unsweetened)
- Plain yogurt or greek yogurt (unsweetened)
Healthy frosting ideas:
- Unflavored greek yogurt + you can add colorful herbs to make different colors
- Mashed up baked sweet potato for a fun orange color!
- Cream cheese that can be dyed with herbs too!
Add in some nourishing herbs to color your frosting or simply add these into the meatloaf mixture for a nutrient power punch:
Some herbs to color the frosting or simply mix into the cakes:
- Our Super Greens Powder for a nourishing green frosting
- Spirulina for a bright green color frosting
- Beet powder for a crazy red!
- Our Ginger Joint Powder for some yellow fun!
You could also mix in any of our herbal powders into the cupcakes to simply add more nourishing or medicinal properties to the treat. Think...
- Optimal Wellness Powder which is like a nutrient dense, whole food multivitamin
- Mushroom Immunity Powder which contains the "mushroom of immortality" to help your dog live a long and healthy life!
- Allergy Relief Powder to support your itchy dog on their celebratory day
- Full Detox Powder for a little extra liver love for your favorite pup!
How do you make the cupcakes?
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a cupcake tin with paper liners.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 pound of ground meat, sprinkle in your flour of choice, 1 egg, a scoop of peanut butter if desired, a handful of grated carrots, a few scoops of unsweetened applesauce or plain yogurt, and a can of pumpkin puree.
3. Mix the ingredients together until well combined. There is no exact science here, just make sure the mixture isn't too runny. The mix should mostly be meat!
4. Spoon the mix into the cupcake liners.
5. Bake the cupcakes for approximately 20 minutes or until the meat is cooked.
6. Either bake your sweet potato & mash it up with a little coconut milk until smooth OR mix your herb powder of choice into the yogurt to make a fun frosting!
7. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting the cupcakes.
8. Serve them to your dog or with your dogs favorite pack of friends!
Take this template and experiment with one or more of these options.
Your dog will find each combination delicious 🤤 added bonus? They don’t care what they look like 😉
Now YOU can make healthy & nourishing birthday cupcakes that your dog will love. Not only will you be celebrating their special day, but you'll also be providing them with a nutritious and delicious treat. So, get baking and make your dog's birthday extra special!