Easy & Healthy Dog Birthday Cake
Do you like to treat your dog on special occasions? Sometimes we just want to spoil our pups and create a treat for them that will have them begging for more! You could go the route of an actual cupcake or sweet treat but is that going to support their health? Do dogs even like sweets over savory? I guess we'll probably never know the answer to that. Yet, what I do know is that dogs will go crazy for meat and organs! So why not make them happy while giving them the nutrients they need? Win, win!
Organ meat cupcakes with sweet potato frosting!
- 1 LB package of grass-fed cattle organs (or your pups favorite meat: beet, rabbit, ect.)
- 2 Eggs
- About 1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
- 4 TB Ground Flax Seed
- 1/2 TB Hemp seeds
Any shredded vegetable (except dangerous vegetables for dogs - Check out blog post ( https://www.dandilionsden.com/post/homemade-fruit-herbal-ice-treats ) for a longer list of healthy and dangerous fruits and vegetables for dogs.
- Sweet potato
- Coconut milk
- Hemp seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Start by, baking sweet potato until it is soft enough to mash.
- In a bowl, mix together organs / meat and eggs. Consistency will be wet and slimy. Add in desired vegetables, ground flax, Hemp seeds and coconut flour. If mixture is still too wet, add in more Coconut flour until mixture is more dense and has a drier feel to it.
- Use cupcake tray, small bread trays or any other trays that you want the mixture to be in the shape of. Place mixture into desired tray(s).
- Place tray in oven on 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Keep an eye on them, until meat looks cooked. It will look like mini meat loafs.
- Blend the inside of the baked potato in a bowl with some Coconut milk until the consistency is thinner. Texture should be easy to spread.
- When the cupcakes are cooked, remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from cooking tins and place on a plate. Apply the Sweet potato frosting like you would any other cupcake. Sprinkle with Hemp seeds.
Viola! Place on plate for your dog to drool over and watch their face light up with all the happiness they can express!
Benefits Of Organ / Meat Cupcakes?
Dogs LOVE and THRIVE with organ meat added to their diet. You can purchase straight organs or a blend of organs and other parts of cattle that doesn't normally get used for human consumption. Their stomaches are much hardier and can digest the tougher part of cattle much easier, like "chuck". Organs are filled with dense nutrition and provide your pup with a majority of the vitamins and minerals it needs to thrive.
Flax seeds, Hemp seeds and Coconut flour all provide essential fatty acids (EFA) and fiber. EFA's provide moisture to their bodies from the inside out and benefit the skin, coat, brain, eyes, heart, stomach.. essentially all parts of their body!
Sweet potato's are high in fiber, Vitamin C, B6 and manganese. They also have a sweeter flavor that adds to the savory of the meat / organ flavor.
There are a lot of vegetables that can benefit your dogs health. Shredded up and baked into a meat cupcake is a great way to sneak them into your dogs diet. Vegetables are high in a variety of vitamins and minerals that your dog needs. There are certain vegetables that should never be fed to dogs. Make sure to know which these are! Check out our blog post: (https://www.dandilionsden.com/post/homemade-fruit-herbal-ice-treats) for more detailed information. Yet the major ones are, onions and any that have a pit inside that can get lodged in their intestines and cause a blockage.
Play around with different meats, organs, seeds, vegetables and whatever ingredients you think your pup will LOVE!
Keeping the recipe clean and full of nutrients will help your dog thrive while you feel good about yourself for providing the best for your fur-baby!